Autumn and October hold hands and bring along a range of natural colors in Slovenia. A mix of these such as red, yellow, purple, black, orange, pink, magenta, blue and brown, are the stars of this season. Nevertheless, Slovenia is a gem that you can visit any time of the year and you will not be disappointed.
An average autumn temperature in Slovenia ranges between 22°C and 10 °C. Would be smart to bring yourself a raincoat and some waterproof shoes, as rain is common in October.
Here is a top ten places to visit, events and things to do in Slovenia during October.
1. The Church of the Holy Trinity in Hrastovlje, is surrounded by vineyards and olive trees. It’s easy to locate the big stone wall enclosing this church. The church was built in the 15th century and the wall with two defence towers (for protection against Turk invaders) were built about 100 years after. The church is quite small, however, it has the greatest and best preserved frescoes in Slovenia. The painter ‘John of Kastav’ painted the entire interior with his team and completed his work in 1490. Frescoes are of earthly colors, motifs mainly religious and they show apostles, Coronation of Mary, Three Holy Kings, Stations of the Cross, the creation of Earth but the most famous one is certainly the “Dance of the Dead”, a mural dance of death, which implies that no matter how rich we are, we all are going to die.
2. The Cartusian Order in Pleterje, is a monastery not open to visitors, however, It is possible to visit the old Gothic church and multi visual program about the Chartrehouse’s history and the life of Carthusians. Additionally, the monastery has a shop, and handmade products of the Charter house such as wine, liqueur, herbs, chocolate and honey, are available for sale.
3. Mount Slivnica, in the small town of Cerknica hides a somewhat darker past. For centuries, it has been known for being the home of witches. The great 17th century polymath Johann Weichhart von Valvasor wrote about witchcraft in the area.
Nothing more appropriate that scary stories and witches for October.
The hill of Slivnica, which overlooks Cerknica, is now popular among hikers. Spoil yourself with this beautiful vista, with autumn colors and cozy weather.
4. For rainy weather, a better option would be to have fun indoors. Enigmarium in Ljubljana, offers up to 90 minutes of incredibly fun, original and one of a kind test: to escape from a locked room in one hour. You will be able to unravel puzzles and riddles, decipher codes and find the hidden clues so that you can unlock the door to freedom. Featuring six different, immersive and most entertaining rooms, awarded with TripAdvisor Certificate of Excellence!
5. If you wish to experience a kind of Halloween atmosphere in Slovenia, you should not miss The fairy tale land, in Podčetrtek. In the Land of Fairy tales and Imagination you will meet many heroes from Slovenian and foreign literature, folk stories and stories. Witches are the main attraction here. The land was created precisely because of the witches that were supposed to scare past this forest.
The land of fairy tales and imagination is located one kilometer from the Olimje Monastery, under the Olimia Mountains. In the forest you will relax and eat clean air. It will fill you with positive energy, and you will go to the valley with “full batteries”.
6. The Pekel Cave or Hell Cave, is a karst cave more than 3 million years old, it lies in the middle of the Ponikvanski kras region, north of Šempeter. The cave was created by the Ponikvica Stream that disappears in front of the cave and reappears in the cave as the Peklenščica Stream. The 1159-meter-long path through the cave is easy and well maintained. During the winter the temperature in the cave is higher than the temperature outside, steam can be seen coming out of the cave. In the old times, this made people afraid of the cave, hence the name “Hell Cave”. The cave features a 4-meter waterfall as well.
“The Pekel Cave is home to many different life forms. Lichen, moss and algae thrive on the walls and in the water. Beetles, spiders, slugs, crabs and bats have also found shelter in the cave.”
7. The oldest grapevine in the world (in Slovene Modra Kavčina) according to the Guinness World Records, this Old Vine in Maribor, In the heart of the old city center on Lent, over 400 years.
The Old Vine was planted towards the end of the Middle Ages, when Maribor was facing Ottoman invasion.
The Old Vine bears grapes of the “žametovka” or the “modra kavčina” sort, which was one of the first domesticated noble vine sorts in Slovenia.
The yearly harvest of around 35 to 55 kg of grapes are made into wine and poured into 2.5 dl bottles designed by a famous artist Oskar Kogoj. The bottles are a valuable protocol gift – only a hundred are filled every year!
8. The Chestnut Festival in Vitovlje is a unique autumn event experience that will make you feel at home. The festival takes place for an entire weekend and it includes a cultural and entertainment program, along with this, housewives of Vitovlje prepare an exhibition of delicious homemade pastries. Yummy!
The event takes place the 3rd weekend in October when the chestnut season is at its peak.
On Saturday the event features music and dance and on Sunday you can enjoy and see tradition, culture, and excellent culinary degustation.
If you wish to roast or cook your own chestnut, just take a walk through the nearest forest or ask locals where is the closest forest to pick up chestnut. People are very friendly, and they will surely help you out.
9. What is the trick or treat month without candy? Why not to revive our childhood and attend a Chocolate heaven in Ljubljana? The Čokoljana is an outdoor festival which takes place in the old Ljubljana and is fully dedicated to chocolate and chocolate delicacies. It is a lively event with workshops, presentations and of course lots of tastings.
10. Halloween in Kranj. To wrap October, take your valiancy with some spare parts and dare to walk through the tunnels of Kranj. Between the 26th and the 31st of October, a fairytale world emerges there.
“In the dark tunnels, they can experience magical adventures, with which they can overcome their fears and much more!”